http://marcusvorwaller.com/blog/images/sc2.png 642 1389 Marcus http://marcusvorwaller.com/blog/images/logo2.png Marcus2016-02-22 11:36:352016-02-22 11:36:35We Require More Minerals
Lately I’ve been somewhat obsessed by Starcraft. It’s a computer game that’s comparable to chess, except played at insane speeds and with a greater range of strategies available. I’m not much of a gamer, but this game has my attention.
- Speed of play is measured by Actions Per Minute (APM). One player controls an economy, building construction and an army. Professionals are capable of performing well over 200 discreet game movements per minute. That’s really fast. Games usually last from 3 to 15 minutes.
- In Korea, Starcraft is taken very seriously. Top players make very good livings off the game and there are TV stations that only show Starcraft games.
- Fun fact: in 2011 I went to Korea to watch a Starcraft tournament. Weird, I know.
- Scientific American has reported on scientists studying Starcraft to learn more about human performance.
- At any given time you can watch Starcraft being played online on Twitch. Good, personable players make several hundred dollars a day from subscriptions and donations.
- The story of the rise of Starcraft and the creation of Starcraft II and its storyline and art is a great read. It’s a small empire of interesting characters and huge sums of money.