post icon

Tumblelog

Projectionist

Here’s something to keep an eye on – Tumblelogs. Basically a blog with quick posts consisting of pictures, quotes, links and whatever else is on the mind of the author. Tumblelogging is bound to grow–as of today there are 540 Google results for “tumblelog.” I predict 10,000 within 6 months. I’m not sure of the origin of the word, but the best I can tell it was coined here. The best example (by far) is the gorgeous Projectionist website… a site that has forever changed the way I think about blogging. Amazing.

I can definitely see the need for a CMS that supports this style of blogging. Hopefully Lifecapsules will fill the need.

[UPDATE: That didn't take long--10/12/2005 - 12,100 results from a search for Tumblelog]

Technorati Tags: , , ,

11 Comments

1. Jessica
    September 12, 2005 at 7:51 am #

Looks like stream of consciousness writing to me. Funny if that becomes the “new” thing since “stick to one subject” has been beat over my head so much.

Hmm… track anything, eh? I don’t know about everyone, but I have a few blog-type places. One for more personal/rant posts and then one that wouldn’t embarrass me if my boss’s boss found it.

2. jenny vorwaller
    September 12, 2005 at 5:04 pm #

i will be your first lifecapsules customer.

and as for keeping two blogs jessica, i think that’s a good idea…especially if you find yourself needing to vent the extremely personal things!

3. Christian Neukirchen
    September 13, 2005 at 6:21 am #

The term “tumblelogging” was actually coined by Why The Lucky Stiff in

this post
    upon discovering my tumblelog, Anarchaia,
    that is older than the term “tumblelog”.

(And, as a side node, so far every tumblelogger known to me has
    written his own blogging software for tumblelogging; the first one to
    provide tumblehosting or easy-to-install tumbleware has yet to be
    found. I hope to see a lot of new tumblelogs in near future!)

4. Halvard Halvorsen
    October 28, 2005 at 9:14 am #

36 000 on google today (kottke doing a writeup will have helped the count)

5. Wally
    October 31, 2005 at 10:43 am #

This is very interesting, and the Projectionist site is perfect for my attention span. But I’m not from Florida.

6. csv
    November 4, 2005 at 12:37 pm #

38,000

7. Greg
    November 7, 2005 at 3:05 am #

With regards to tumbleware, Movable Type can do the job. Tumbletumble is a tumblelog driven by MT.

8. Matt
    February 28, 2007 at 11:13 pm #

I adore the idea of tumblelogs. i think the streams of consciousness can very valuable. It’s great to a have a tumbelog to track that for you.

9. ZuD
    April 15, 2007 at 7:38 am #

Who can say where Tumblelogs will be? Coming across this post from 9/11/05 after a Google search in the Spring of ’07. What will a search show 2 years hence?

Is it Art, Is it Dialogue or some term we don’t have yet.

That’s why we should pursue the form and see where it leads.

Z

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. db » Blog Archive » Tumblelog - March 29, 2006

[...] Tumblelog: “ [...]

2. Best Tool For the Job » Beautiful Software Round up - April 2, 2007

[...] (and everyone else really) beat me to this one, but I’ll include it anyway. Way back when I predicted the growth of Tumblelogs and alas, it has happened. Tumblr makes Tumblelogging simple and fun and they do what so many other [...]