Designing Today

Looking back on my day today, I realize that my design process has changed a lot over the past few years. In the past, I spent about 75% of my time working with graphics in Photoshop, Illustrator or with animations in Flash and the other 25% of my time in Dreamweaver or Flash writing the HTML or ActionScript to get them to look decent in a browser.

Lately, things have changed. Today I spent pretty much the entire day at work in jEdit trying to hack out ActionScript to basically dynamically create the graphics in Flash that before I would have just drawn. At home I spent the evening learning (finally) some of the more advanced CSS techniques so my HTML could move towards being standards compliant. By the looks of it, being standards compliant is going to mean spending a lot more time in the code view of Dreamweaver.

Ahhh well, I can’t say I don’t enjoy writing code, but I do miss the simpler times of doing most of my work with the pen tool or photographs. In the end I think the change is worth it.